This portrait of Edward IV, taken from the Black Book of the Order of the Garter, shows him as a true king, strong, powerful, and ready for battle. It is in stout contrast to the image of Henry VI, the Lancastrian King deposed by Edward, who is portrayed instead as an old man in robes, weak and ineffective. More »
The catalogues to the Archives are currently undergoing in-house conversion onto a computerised database (CALM).
The property section is now available on-line; please click here to open our on-line catalogue.
The Chapter Library, containing over 6,000 rare books, has always been an integral part of the life of St George's. Its treasures, which date from the 12th century, include one of the first books to be printed in England.
Adopt-a-book helps us to preserve this valuable resource. All those interested are invited to adopt a book by making a donation of £25 or more. More »
The woodwork of the Quire of St George’s Chapel was carved from oak between 1477 and 1484 to form part of the decoration in the newly constructed chapel of Edward IV. The popey-heads of the south side tell the story of the Virgin Mary. They are not arranged in order, and in many cases do not conform to the traditional story. More »