Chapel Archives & Chapter Library

WELCOME

About Us

Located within the Lower Ward, the Vicars’ Hall Undercroft houses the extensive and historic collections of books, manuscripts and archival material belonging to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.

Traditionally, for over six centuries, the Archives were kept in the ancient treasury, the Aerary. In 1999 they were united with the collection of early printed books in the present premises. This 15th-century building has been equipped to meet current standards of storage and consultation. It provides a centre for enquiry and research into all aspects of the College’s history.

On-line Catalogue

The catalogues to the Archives are currently undergoing in-house conversion onto a computerised database (CALM). The property section is now available on-line

IMAGE OF THE MONTH

Remembering the First World War

IMAGE OF THE MONTH

Remembering the First World War

The Great War, now commonly called the First World War, officially ended on 11 November 1918, when the Armistice was signed at 5 am and came into effect at 11 am. Sir Walter Parratt, Organist since 1882, informed the boys...

Read more

CONSERVATION

Adopt a Book

CONSERVATION

Adopt a Book

Support our ongoing programme of repair and conservation of the 6,000 rare books held in the Chapter Library by adopting a volume.

Read more

FIND OUT MORE

Visit us

FIND OUT MORE

Visit us

The majority of our collections are open for members of the public to consult in our spacious searchroom.

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.