Edward III’s sword

The two-handed sword of Edward III which can be seen in the Chapel hanging in the South Quire Aisle is an impressive reminder of the founder of the College and the Order of the Garter. 6 foot 8 inches long ...

Read more

St George and the chapel

There are many mysteries surrounding the identity of St George, but the most commonly believed is that he was a soldier in the Roman Army, part of the imperial guard of Emperor Diocletian. In 302 AD, Diocletian ordered that every ...

Read more

The Music of Sidney Campbell

Recently we have been cataloguing and conducting conservation work to the sizable music collection donated to the archives by Sidney Campbell, influential composer of sacred music and organist of St George’s Chapel 1961-1974. This has involved transferring Campbell’s collection to ...

Read more

Hobbes’ Leviathan

The full title of this book is Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme and Power of a Common Wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil, and it was first published in 1651. Titled after the biblical Leviathan, an enormous sea monster representing chaos and ...

Read more

St Anthony’s pigs

From its foundation until the nineteenth century, the College of St George held land and property throughout the country and it was whilst researching these links that I came across the following porcine tale relating to St Anthony’s Hospital in London. A ...

Read more

When to trust women

In a 15th century manuscript in the Archives of Balliol College, Oxford appears the following carol: When these things following be done to our intent, Then put women in trust and confident… When sparrows build churches on a height And ...

Read more

A lady’s seal

Attached to a small yet significant piece of parchment in the Archives [SGC XI.G.1] can be found one of the earliest examples of a medieval lady’s seal to survive anywhere in the country.  Dating from c.1122-1133, the seal belonged to ...

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.