Category: Property

Trouble in the Chancel

The Dean and Canons have been the patrons of Wantage Parish Church since 1421 and have overseen several disputes in that time. In the fifteenth century, the chancel was extended, and aisles were added, which led to a series of ...

Read more

Troublesome tenants

In the seventeenth century, the Dean and Canons owned property in 30 counties in England and Wales, and consequently had to manage their tenants, including arbitrating between tenants and sub-tenants. This was not always easy, and long travelling times could ...

Read more

From Windsor to Cornwall

A few miles from the Tamar estuary, where Cornwall meets Devon, stands the 15th century Church of St Stephen-By-Saltash. Remarkably, this lovely church has enjoyed a direct connection with Windsor, which has now lasted for a shade over 670 years.

Read more

A red rose at Midsummer

St George’s Chapel Archives holds a document sealed by King Edward I on 27 February 1281 which confirms the grant of the manor of Godington, Oxfordshire, to Guy Ferrer in exchange for a single rose [SGC XI.P.5]. Ferrer was the ...

Read more

A generous miser?

In September 1852 the parish of St Mary in North Marston, Buckinghamshire, a benefice of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, made the news. The parish had a longstanding claim to fame – it had been the burial place of ...

Read more

A complex problem

One of the most difficult problems which confronted Charles II and his advisers at the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660 was how to deal with land which had been appropriated by the Commonwealth from the Crown and the Church—the ...

Read more

Freedom of Worship

On 13 April 1598 the Edict of Nantes was issued by Henry IV of France, allowing freedom of religion to the Huguenots, a French Protestant community. In England, freedom of worship had been granted to Protestants by Edward VI, by ...

Read more

The King's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.