Tag: Chapter Library

Argh me hearties!

When someone mentions pirates, it often leads to the romantic image of a bearded man with a gold ring in his ear and parrot on the shoulder. Films such as Pirates of the Caribbean have helped to enhance the image ...

Read more

Manitowompae Pomantamoonk

Housed in the Chapter Library is a very unusual volume, written entirely in Massachusetts Indian. This volume is a translation of The Practice of Piety by Lewis Bayly, Bishop of Bangor, translated by John Eliot, “The Apostle to the Indians”. ...

Read more

Shhh…no talking!

St George’s Chapel Archives holds three registers relating to books borrowed from the Chapter Library by the Dean and Canons of Windsor from 1720 to 1889 [SGC M.895]. The first volume was begun in 1720 and continued until 1760. It ...

Read more

Adopt a Book Open Days

This Autumn saw the welcome return of the Adopt a Book Open Days, an occasion to thank those people who have generously supported the scheme to help conserve the Chapter Library, and an opportunity for them to see “their” book. The visit began ...

Read more

The misunderstanding of science

Novus Orbis Regionum is a book attributed to Simon Grynaeus (1491-1553). The book contains a map, “Typus Cosmographicus Universalis”, which shows the understanding of the world within that era. The map illustrates the misunderstanding of scientists and geologists at that ...

Read more

Mundus Subterraneus

Since it was set up in 1997, the Adopt a Book scheme has raised money to preserve and conserve the wonderful collection of rare books in the Chapter Library. One volume recently conserved is Mundus Subterraneus by Athanasius Kircher, published ...

Read more

Hobbes’ Leviathan

The full title of this book is Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme and Power of a Common Wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil, and it was first published in 1651. Titled after the biblical Leviathan, an enormous sea monster representing chaos and ...

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.