Tag: Property

Wine Merchants of Windsor

Her Royal Highness Princess Eugenie of York married Jack Brooksbank on Friday, 12 October 2018. The ceremony took place in St George’s Chapel and the Dean of Windsor officiated and gave an Address. Brooksbank is the UK ambassador for George ...

Read more

A generous miser?

In September 1852 the parish of St Mary in North Marston, Buckinghamshire, a benefice of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, made the news. The parish had a longstanding claim to fame – it had been the burial place of ...

Read more

A complex problem

One of the most difficult problems which confronted Charles II and his advisers at the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660 was how to deal with land which had been appropriated by the Commonwealth from the Crown and the Church—the ...

Read more

New research guides launched

We are publishing a series of research guides on the Guide to Holdings section of this website. The guides contain information on the documents held at the St George’s Chapel Archives and Chapter Library, provide introductions to a range of ...

Read more

The King’s Mistress

St George’s Chapel Archives holds three leases, all dated 11 December 1684, conveying land and property to Eleanor ‘Nell’ Gwyn ([1651]-1687), the notorious mistress of King Charles II. Through the indenture pictured [SGC XI.N.7], the Dean and Canons of St ...

Read more

St Anthony’s pigs

From its foundation until the nineteenth century, the College of St George held land and property throughout the country and it was whilst researching these links that I came across the following porcine tale relating to St Anthony’s Hospital in London. A ...

Read more

A lady’s seal

Attached to a small yet significant piece of parchment in the Archives [SGC XI.G.1] can be found one of the earliest examples of a medieval lady’s seal to survive anywhere in the country.  Dating from c.1122-1133, the seal belonged to ...

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.