Tag: St George’s Chapel

Charming the Emperor

On 7th May 1416, a new member was admitted to the prestigious Order of the Garter at Windsor: Sigismund of Luxembourg, King of Hungary, King of the Romans and future Holy Roman Emperor. Sigismund first came to England in 1416, ...

Read more

The will of a 16th century canon

At his appointment to a Canonry of Windsor in 1504, Robert Honiwood was Chancellor of Norwich. He subsequently became Archdeacon of Taunton (1509) and Prebendary of Lichfield (1512). He died in 1523. The fine brass monument to Robert Honiwood can ...

Read more

The Pilgrims’ Corner

As many who have visited St George’s Chapel will know, at the far end of the south quire aisle is a spy-hole that looks down from the ceiling into the Chapel. It is a sizeable hole, bored right through the ...

Read more

When the fox preaches…

The misericords of St George’s Chapel form one of the finest collections of 15th century carvings in the country. The carvers could choose what they wanted to depict, leading to scenes taken from bestiaries, literature and proverbs, and all aspects ...

Read more

New research guides launched

We are publishing a series of research guides on the Guide to Holdings section of this website. The guides contain information on the documents held at the St George’s Chapel Archives and Chapter Library, provide introductions to a range of ...

Read more

Let there be pineapples…

In 1682 the Dean and Canons of Windsor called in Sir Christopher Wren to undertake an architectural survey of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, and to provide an estimate for the restoration work required. Sir Christopher Wren was no stranger ...

Read more

The monument to Princess Charlotte

The monument built in the memory of Princess Charlotte (1796-1817) that presides in the Urswick Chapel in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, was constructed by M.C. Wyatt. The money required to cover its cost was raised through private subscription as ...

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.