Tag: St George’s Chapel

The end of an era

February 4th 1901 The Body of Her most Excellent Majesty, Victoria by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith & Empress of India, was conveyed from Osborne to Portsmouth ...

Read more

Edward III’s sword

The two-handed sword of Edward III which can be seen in the Chapel hanging in the South Quire Aisle is an impressive reminder of the founder of the College and the Order of the Garter. 6 foot 8 inches long ...

Read more

When to trust women

In a 15th century manuscript in the Archives of Balliol College, Oxford appears the following carol: When these things following be done to our intent, Then put women in trust and confident… When sparrows build churches on a height And ...

Read more

A lady’s seal

Attached to a small yet significant piece of parchment in the Archives [SGC XI.G.1] can be found one of the earliest examples of a medieval lady’s seal to survive anywhere in the country.  Dating from c.1122-1133, the seal belonged to ...

Read more

The Queen's Free Chapel. The Chapel of the Most Honourable and Noble Order of the Garter. The Chapel of the College of St George.