College of St George - Windsor Castle

Listen to the bells of St George's Chapel

St George's Chapel

Listen to the bells of St George's Chapel

Get the Flash Player to see this player.


The Curfew Tower, situated to the west of the Chapel and the Horseshoe Cloister, was originally built as part of the castle defenses by Henry III in 1227.

In 1477, Edward IV made the tower available to the Canons to serve as a bell tower.

A substantial oak structure was constructed within the tower to house the bells and withstand the immense pressures generated by the swing of the bells.